what is your name in cantonese

Perfect for learners that want to get acquainted with the top words and phrases in Cantonese. Cantonese is one of the main languages in China and is widely spoken amongst Chinese diaspora. *There's a habit of shortening/abbreviating things in … Just ask us! 叫 (giu3) is “to be called” or “call”. By submitting a comment you grant LearnDialect.sg a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution. At LearnDialect.sg, we want to make learning Cantonese fun, easy and practical for daily conversations in Singapore. Moreover, Cantonese names consist of just two parts: surname + given name, while both could contain one or two characters, for example 歐陽 (au1 joeng4) is an example of surname with two characters. For the first meeting, we always start knowing each other from asking the name. Written Chinese was originally developed for Classical Chinese, [citation needed] and was the main literary language of China until the 19th century. For those who want to have their name in Cantonese, we have made it simple for you to write your name today. 你好, 食咗未? May I know where you have found "Lin Mei"? Psst… You can find our How Do You Say Podcasts on Spotify too! Néih giu māt'yéh mèhng a? Ngóh go méng giu _____ . Jump to phrases. Then, find a Cantonese character that sounds similar to each syllabe. Ready to learn "What's your name?" * literally both meaning “You are called what?”. 霏---the falling of snow and rain 思---miss so 霏思 means for rain-snow's miss. Check out Cantonese Pronunciation Series and learn the basic Chinese characters and their pronunciation. Besides learning how to introduce yourself, you are beginning to learn how to strike a conversation! Nice to meet you. How to write your name in Chinese? Here’s a list of Cantonese names hand-picked by our team. So the correct Jyutping of 琳 should be. My name is…”. Head to Spotify – LearnDialect.sg or search for LearnDialect.sg on Spotify. Lastly, place them together as in 丹尼爾 (daan1 nei4 yi5) for “Daniel.”. For some English names there are several Chinese name variants. ), we encourage you to form your own phonics, so that you make an association with these Cantonese words in the quickest way possible. Therefore, I would like to clarify that 美 (mei5) and 琳 (lam4) should be the given name part. Da, Ni, El. The ah used at the end when someone wants to know you but doesn't yet know your name. Our experts will help you. They can be left out. * or nei giu mye* meng (ah)? Cantonese and Mandarin are two different languages, with different grammers!! It is featured with widely use of materials and rich cooking methods. I think the second character would be 欣, Hello. Cantonese is a language within the Chinese language family originating from the city of Guangzhou (also known as Canton) and its surrounding area in Southeastern China.It is the traditional prestige variety of the Yue Chinese dialect group, which has over 80 million native speakers. b, d, g, and j (IPA: [p],[t],[k], and [tɕ]), sounds in Cantonese are voicless, in contrast to the voiced English sounds spelled with the same letters. We suggest you to pick up the surname first, for example, if your own name begins with the letter L, you can choose 刘 (liú) as a surname. Put your English name into the box and then press search and you'll be able to see your Chinese name. Join us to pick up words and phrases for everyday use in Singapore. - I found the name Mei on this site and liked the meaning beautiful https://www.behindthename.com/name/mei-1 I also saw it on this blog post under Female Cantonese Names which is where I saw the tone number 5 and matched it to the correct Mei in article I linked. Please do not enter your email address there. In the next post, you will learn other common conversation phrases and expressions. Cantonese: How Do You Say “Can You Teach Me?”, Hokkien, Teochew and Cantonese express workshops. How to ask people's names and to say what your name is in many different languages. Most of the Cantonese name are created in the pattern of level-oblique-level(平仄平). For example, if your name is “Daniel,” you can break it down into three syllable. We’ve got lots more to share during our Hokkien, Teochew and Cantonese express workshops. Written Cantonese is the written form of Cantonese, the most complete written form of Chinese after that for Mandarin Chinese and Classical Chinese. Your name on a Chinese Painting. According to this article: Cantonese Slang of the Week: HEA To put it in the simplest of terms, to Hea means to procrastinate, be lazy, and basically try to kill time. Over 100,000 Chinese translations of English words and phrases. 你好, as what we learnt in our previous lesson, means “Hello” while 名 refers to “name” and 叫 means “called”. Now you know how a Chinese name looks like. Showing page 1. Found 204 sentences matching phrase "what".Found in 2 ms. (No need to say "thank you" after answering "fine" in Cantonese) What is your name? Use the illustrations and pronunciations below to get started. Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube. Chinese calligraphy. That said, you may use other romanization (e.g “sake”, “xig”, etc), as long as it helps you to make sense of what you hear. The translation of Emilia is 艾美莉亞 (ngaai6 mei5 lei6 aa3). frm = formal, inf = informal, v-inf = very informal, sg = singular (to one person), pl = plural (to two or more people), m = said by men, f … First, log in to CantoneseClass101. Got a complicated question? How to choose a good Cantonese name with tone pattern? More importantly, you can help to keep these languages alive! 幸會. Abbreviations. Hong Kong people use Chinese characters to write English names in. Thank you, I would recommend you to introduce yourself with Cantão instead of Guangzhou, which may confuse others. This will help you learn basic Chinese characters and start writing your name in Cantonese by yourself! As there is a variety of choice of characters for "Lin Mei" and they may imply a very different meaning. So technically, 我個名叫 means “my name is called”. Remember, practice is the key. The name field will appear publicly next to your comment. ), The website you sent us is showing Pinyin (Mandarin) instead of Jyutping (Cantonese). The 100 most common men’s and women’s names in Chinese. As such, rather than figuring out which of the 10 or more Cantonese romanization system to use (e.g. Pick the one that you like and use it as your Cantonese name. 請問點稱呼? “Are there any Cantonese names that sound like English names?”. You’ll learn the ins and outs of perfect Cantonese pronunciation. When using ‘hea’ to describe a person, the meaning usually slightly alters to indicate that a person may … Yes, I write my surname first as well. . This post is your one-stop guide regarding Cantonese names! Cantonese dishes taste mild, fresh and natural. Chinese-Tools.com. However, in our “Have You Eaten?” podcast transcript, you’ll find that we use “sek”, which we think relates to us better. Now pause the audio and give it a try. Hi, my name is Lívia, the pronounce is just like Olivia, but without "O", and also my last name is Cantão (pronounce ken-tah-o) with is the portuguese name for the Guangzhou province, I will like to know when I inroduce myself in cantonese I should use Cantão or Guangzhou as last name? We’ll be honest with you—one of the questions we get asked the most on CantoneseClass101 is on — yes, you guessed it — names. By using our services, you agree to our use of cookies. nǐ jiào shén me míngzi – literal. Don’t be afraid to start speaking in Cantonese! Learn Cantonese in the fastest, easiest and most fun way! 你好, 我個名叫 . For those who want to have your own Cantonese last name too, here’s the list of popular Cantonese last names. Now, conversations are always 2 ways and if you have introduced yourself, wouldn’t you want to find out the name of whom you are speaking to as well? Do you want to know how to write your name in Cantonese? 好. Hóu. What's your name? 李 (lei5) is also a possible choice for last name. We will take you step-by-step through must-know phrases and explain the grammar and composition. But 美 (mei5), 琳 (lam4) or the combination of these two can only be the first name. How are you in Cantonese: 你點啊 [nei5 dim2 aa3] How are you in Cantonese is 你點啊 [nei5 dim2 aa3]. This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. You’ll learn the common mistakes learners make, how to avoid them, and the nuances that only native speakers are aware of. And for the given name, please think well what kind of image you want to convey to … In my case, I would say – 你好, 我個名叫Eugene. Today, you will be learning a couple of phrases for introduction in Cantonese, namely 你好, 我個名叫 and 你叫咩名. Plus, you’ll get some special tips on how to be extra authentic when interacting with native Cantonese speakers. ), we encourage you to form your own phonics, so that you make an association with these Cantonese words in the quickest way possible. Cookies help us deliver our services. NOTE: the numbers are tone markers in Jyutping romanisation. nei5 ho2 sounds like … what’s your name 你叫什么名字 is generally the same as 你叫什么. i am a Native Cantonese speaker. Get Your Cantonese Name. What's your name? The Introduction to Cantonese series is perfect for those who know zero Cantonese but want to take that first step. Your email address will not be published. Chinese name translation forum. 你叫咩(什么)名? My name is Emilia pronounced em-MILL-ee-ah. In order to become a US citizen you will need to answer at least six out of ten questions correctly. 你叫乜嘢名呀? My name is Eugene and thank you for listening to our Cantonese – How Do You Say Podcast on LearnDialect.sg. There are various ways to ask and answer “what’s your name?” in 3 different situations. Or, you can take out the sound of Chinese characters and make your Cantonese name that sounds similar to your English name. Here are some English names in Chinese characters. Here are some English names in … Your 外甥女 and 外甥 belong under your brother-in-law’s bloodline and have taken your brother-in-law’s last name, so they are outside your paternal bloodline and take the “外” (marriage by relationship) relation marker. In this case, you would ask 你叫咩名? If you cannot find your name on this list or want to make your name in Cantonese characters by yourself, here’s our audio series for you. Don’t know where to start? Get your own Chinese name based on your English name and find out your sign in the Chinese Zodiac! How can you ask? Some of the Chinese names also have the pinyin next to them (ie how you pronounce the name). So you’re literally saying “I am called “ (your name) ”. That’s because the Chinese language takes common English names and puts them into the most phonetically similar sounds available in Chinese. Then, simply leave a comment on this page. What is your name (formal, literally means "How do I address you")? A name is consider balance in tone when level tones(平)are followed by oblique tones(仄) , vice versa. Nei5 giu3 me1 ming4? If you want to have your own Cantonese name that sounds like a typical name that any native speaker could read and understand without problems, don’t worry. “Is it possible to make a nickname up and ask native Cantonese speakers to use it?” Tone pattern(平仄)is crucial for choosing a good Cantonese name. - On the same site I found Lin but don't know the tone number for it. Learn the basics you need to be polite while speaking Cantonese. (雨雪的思念) … Pronunciation [] b, d, g, j []. This is it. Try asking your teacher using. Lei giu meh meng? Inappropriate and irrelevant comments will be removed at an admin’s discretion. Copyright © 2021 Innovative Language Learning. In addition to creating the most comprehensive course for learning Cantonese, the folks at Cantoneseclass101 have also put out a large collection of Cantonese learning videos on their Youtube channel. what's your name translation in English-Cantonese dictionary. Sorry, please keep your comment under 800 characters. - I figured I better have a backup last name just in case I never find the tone number for Lin so I chose Lei5 which I found on this blog post.

Cheapest Car With Apple Carplay Uk, George Washington Tour, Gcuf Fee Structure Weekend Program, Minecraft Pickaxe Texture, Ask Tesadüfleri Sever 2 English Subtitles, Sidney Lumet Best Movies Imdb, A New Source Of Stalhrim Won't Start, Musc Pay Bands, Going To Pieces Imdb,